OK, as promised, here is the outline/script for the sequential art challenge! All I ask is that you credit me for the story, and once finished, provide me with good quality scans of your work so I can present it here on the site!
“Chasing the American Dream”
– Make it as Rockwell/Americana as you can
Little Girl (with big smile): Thank you!
Man: So…what do you want to be when you grow up?
Little Girl: A Doctor!
Man: Then you go right on ahead and you do that!
Man continues: This is America! You can be anything you want!Last panel: the balloon string slips out of her hand.
Series of images showing happy little girl chasing balloon through fairgrounds – balloon is always just out of reach.
Girl is now teenager in High School
– sitting in science class (balloon passes by outside window)
– chasing same balloon past football game and cheerleaders
Girl is now middle-age
– She’s chasing HER children through grocery store (balloon should not be seen).
– She’s being laid off from her job.
– She’s pushing her kids in a grocery cart – on the streets.
– In last panel she notices her Stars & Stripes balloon floating high in the air. FAR out of reach.
She’s an old woman now.
– Tending flowers in yard of senior center. Her now semi-deflated balloon floats into yard. She sees it and gives chase again. Yet again, the balloon stays just out of reach.
– After giving chase for some time, she finds herself at the gate to a large beautiful estate. The gate is posted “NO TRESPASSING”.
– Her balloon, finally too weak to float lands to the ground – just on the other side of the gate.
– She looks to see if coast is clear, and then slips between bars to get her balloon.
– She crouches down to pick it up.
– CU – muzzle flash – SFX CRACK!
– WS – woman lays dead beside the balloon.
– MS – same closer, center on balloon
– CU – shriveled, deflated balloon and her hand. Her fingers are just an inch away from holding the balloon’s string.