Yep…no specific topic, just my favorite things of 2011. Hey, it’s my website I’ll do what I want. 🙂
In no particular order…
1) I love Wednesday’s Heroes. I really do. I love the guys. I love their art. I love helping artists – even if it’s just in this teeny tiny corner of the web.
2) The Boys – I don’t even remember how I found this series, but man it’s good. I think it’s the best thing Garth Ennis has done. Grab the trade paperbacks and give it a read. It’s full of all the nasty, filthy over-the-top violence you’ve come to expect from him, but has a depth that I’ve found most of his other work lacking.
3) I’ve started my own film restoration business. After nearly 12 years with IMAX, I’m now working for myself instead of “the man”. Very, very scary, but at the same time very, very exciting.
4) Moises “Mocherz” Jimenez – My partner in High Hat Post. I met Moises a few years ago when he worked for a short time at IMAX. He’s a brilliant artist, animator, human – anathema to all things IMAX. I’m thrilled to call him my friend and business partner.
5) Paolo Rivera – Oh my god…this guy is so freaking amazing. The work he’s been doing on the new Daredevil reboot is the finest comics work I’ve seen since David Mazzucchelli back in the 80’s. Astounding.
6) Harvest Grains from Trader Joe’s. This is soooo good! Israeli couscous, red and green orzo, split dried garbanzo beans, and red quinoa. Cooks in only 10 minutes and is delicious!
7) I added some very cool pieces to my comic art collection in 2011. 2012 won’t likely be a banner year for my collection so I’m really glad I got these beauties when I could.
8 ) Long Beach Comic Con. This was our first convention set up as Wednesday’s Heroes. It may not have been the busiest show any of us has ever done, but I for one had a blast. You can read all about it here.
9) We donated over $2500 to Mercy Corps for disaster relief in Japan. Sadly there seems to be a huge natural disaster every year. When the triple disaster (earthquake, tsunami, nuclear meltdown) hit Japan this year, again Wednesday’s Heroes immediately organized a charity auction and was able to get much needed support to the people through Mercy Corps. I’m very proud of our team of artists who donated artwork as well as the wonderful visitors to the site who placed very generous bids.
10) It’s over. Yeah, I’d have to say one of the best things about 2011 is that it’s just about over. 2011 has been such a hard year for so many people. Between the horrific economy, worldwide disasters, and the death of so many amazing talents in our comic industry, I say good ridance to 2011! Bring on 2012! We’ll just have to hope the Mayan’s got the whole end-of-the-world thing wrong.